Online Encyclopedia

PULTUSK

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 644 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PULTUSK, a town of Russian Poland, in the government of Warsaw, 33 M. N. of the city of Warsaw, on the right bank of the Narew. Pop. (1897), 15,878. The town was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1875. It is now well built, and had before the fire a palace (1319) which was formerly a residence of the bishops of Plock. The industries include woollen, linen and hosiery mills, copper works and potteries. In 1703 Charles XII. of Sweden defeated and captured the greater part of a Saxon army near this town, and in the same locality the French defeated the Russians in December 18o6. The town was founded as early as 956.
End of Article: PULTUSK
[back]
FERENCZ AUREL PULSZKY (1814—1897 )
[next]
PUMA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.