Online Encyclopedia

PYRITZ

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 693 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PYRITZ, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Pomerania, 16 m. S.W. of Stargard by the railway to Ciistrin. Pop. (1905), 8600. It is still surrounded by walls with towers, and has two Evangelical churches. There are small manufactures of machinery, bricks and sugar. Excellent wheat is grown in the vicinity, while another industry is the breeding of cattle. Near the town is a fountain, erected to mark the spring in which Otto, bishop of Bamberg, baptized the first Pomeranian converts to Christianity in 1124. Pyritz became a town in 1150.
End of Article: PYRITZ
[back]
PYRITES
[next]
PYROCATECHIN, or PYROCATECHOL

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.