Online Encyclopedia

QUIMPERLE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 751 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
QUIMPERLE, a town of western France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Finistere, at the confluence of two rivers which unite to form the Laiter, 28 m. E.S.E. of Quimper by rail. Pop. (1906) town 6203, commune 9176. Quimperle grew up round the abbey of Ste Croix, founded in the z 1th century, the romanesque basilica of which, restored in modern times, still remains. The church of St Michel (14th and 15th centuries), with a fine tower, crowns the hill above the town. Quimperle has a tribunal of first instance, and carries on the manufacture of farm implements, railway material, paper, &c., and trades in grain, timber, cattle and agricultural products. The town has a small port.
End of Article: QUIMPERLE
[back]
QUIMPER
[next]
JAMES QUIN (1693—1766)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.