Online Encyclopedia

RADATJTZ

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 783 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
RADATJTZ, a town in Bukovina, Austria, 35 M. S. by W. of Czernowitz by rail. Pop. (1900) 14,343, of which about 70% are Germans and 25% are Rumanians. It was formerly the seat of a Greek bishopric, removed to Czernowitz in 1786, and possesses a cathedral (1402) with the tombs of several Moldavian princes. The Austrian government has here a large stud. To the W. of Radautz are situated the old monasteries of Putna and Suczawica, dating from the 1 sth century. They still contain many old and valuable ecclesiastical objects of art, although a great part has been removed to the various monasteries in Moldavia.
End of Article: RADATJTZ
[back]
RACQUETS, or RACKETS
[next]
RADBERTUS PASCHASIUS (d. c. 86o)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.