Online Encyclopedia

RAMNICU SARAT (Rimnicu Sdrat)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 877 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
RAMNICU SARAT (Rimnicu Sdrat), the capital of the department of Ramnicu Sarat, Rumania; on the railway from Buzeu to Focshani, and on the left bank of the Ramnicu, a tributary of the Sereth. Pop. (1900) 13,134, about 1500 being Jews. The town rises from a marshy plain, east of the Carpathians, and west of the cornlands of southern Moldavia. Salt and petroleum are worked in the mountains, and there is a considerable trade in agricultural produce and preservedmeat. Ramnicu Sarat was the scene of battles between the Moldavians and the Walachians in 1434 and 1573, and between the Walachians and Turks in 1634. Here also, in 1789, an Austro-Russian army defeated the Turks. In 1854 the town was almost destroyed by fire and was rebuilt.
End of Article: RAMNICU SARAT (Rimnicu Sdrat)
[back]
RAMNAD
[next]
RAMNICUVALCEA (Rimnicu Vdlcea)

Additional information and Comments

That should be about 3,134 inhabitants in 1900, of whom 1,500 were Jews. --Wikipedia
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.