Online Encyclopedia

RAWMARSH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 930 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
RAWMARSH, an urban district in the Rotherham parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 72 M. N.E. of Sheffield by the Midland railway. Pop. (2892) 11,983; (1901) 14,587. It is situated on the ridge of a hill above the valley of the Don. The church of St Lawrence was rebuilt II in 1839 with the exception of the Norman tower. Rawmarsh has large iron-works, steel rolling-mills and potteries, and there are collieries in the neighbourhood. At the time of the Conquest the manor was granted to Walter d'Eyncourt, and in the 12th century it was divided among the three daughters of his tenant Ralph Paganel, who is supposed to have been the founder of the church.
End of Article: RAWMARSH
[back]
SIR ROBERT RAWLINSON (1810—1898)
[next]
RAWTENSTALL

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.