Online Encyclopedia

RECKLINGHAUSEN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 954 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
RECKLINGHAUSEN, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Westphalia, 22 M. by rail N.W. of Dortmund on the railway to Munster. Pop. (1905) 44,396. In the neighbour-hood are extensive coal-mines and brick-works, and the industries embrace the manufacture of linen, beer, spirits and tobacco. The county of Recklinghausen belonged to the archbishopric of Cologne until 1803, when it passed to the duke of Arenberg. It was known as the Vest Recklinghausen. In 1810 it was divided by Napoleon between the grand duchy of Berg and France, but was, in 1815, restored to the duke of Arenberg as a fief under Prussian sovereignty. See Ritz, Die allere Geschichte des Veste and der Stadt Recklinghausen (Erzen, 1904).
End of Article: RECKLINGHAUSEN
[back]
RECITAL (from Lat. recitare, to read out, particula...
[next]
RECLAMATION OF LAND

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.