Online Encyclopedia

REGLA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V23, Page 45 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
REGLA, formerly an important suburb of Havana, Cuba, opposite that city, on the bay; now a part of Havana. Pop. (1899) 11,363. It was formerly the scene of the Havana bull-fights. The church is one of the best in Cuba; the building dates substantially from 1805, but the church settlement goes back to a hermitage established in 169o. Regla is the shipping-point of the Havana sugar trade. It has enormous sugar and tobacco warehouses, fine wharves, a dry dock, foundries and an electric railway plant. It is the western terminus of the eastern line of the United Railways of Havana, and is connected with the main city of Havana by ferry. A fishing village was established here about 1733. At the end of the 18th century Regla was a principal centre of the smuggling trade, and about 1820 was notorious as a resort. of pirates. It first secured an ayuntamiento (city council) in 1872, and after 1899 was annexed to Havana.
End of Article: REGLA
[back]
REGIUM DONUM, or ROYAL GIFT
[next]
JEAN FRANCOIS REGNARD (1655-1709)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.