Online Encyclopedia

RENSSELAER

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V23, Page 102 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
RENSSELAER, a city of Rensselaer county, New York, U.S.A., in the eastern part of the state, on the E. bank of the Hudson river, opposite Albany. Pop. (Igloo) 7466, of whom 1089 were foreign-born; (19,0 census) 10,711. It is served by the New York Central and the Boston & Albany rail-ways, which have shops here, and is connected with Albany by three bridges across the Hudson. Rensselaer, originally called Greenbush, was first settled in 1631, and the site formed part of the large tract bought from the Indians by the agentsof Killian van. Rensselaer and known as Rensselaerwyck. In 1810 a square mile of land within the present city limits was acquired by a land speculator, was divided into lots and offered for sale. Development followed, and five years later the village was incorporated. In 1897 Greenbush was chartered as a city, and its name was changed to Rensselaer. Its limits were extended in 1902 by the annexation of the village of Bath (pop. in 1900, 2504) and the western part of the township of East Greenbush. Rensselaer manufactures knit-goods, wool shoddy, felt, &c.
End of Article: RENSSELAER
[back]
CHARLES BERNARD RENOUVIER (1815-1903)
[next]
RENT

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.