Online Encyclopedia

RIO TINTO (MINAS DE RID TINTo)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V23, Page 363 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
RIO TINTO (MINAS DE RID TINTo), a mining town of south-western Spain, in the province of Huelva; near the source of the river Tinto, and at the terminus of a light railway from the port of Huelva. Pop. (19o0) 11,603. Rio Tinto is one of the greatest copper-mining centres in the world; and it is from the discoloration of its waters by copper ore that the river derives its name. Besides the town of Minas, several villages are peopled by the native miners, whose numbers exceed xo,000; and one is occupied solely by British mine officials. The surrounding country is covered for miles with heaps of slag, and has been reduced to a desert. In 1903 the output of the mines included 84o,000 tons of copper ore, worth more than £500,000, besides a relatively small quantity of iron and manganese. Almost the entire product is despatched to Huelva for shipment to Great Britain. Rio Tinto was probably first exploited by the Carthaginians; vestiges of later Roman workings may still be seen. After the Moorish conquest, in 711, it was neglected until 1725, when the mines were leased to a Swede named Wolters. Their modern importance dates from 1872, when a syndicate of London and Bremen capitalists purchased them from the Spanish government for nearly £4,000,000.
End of Article: RIO TINTO (MINAS DE RID TINTo)
[back]
RIO PARDO (formerly Villa do Rio Pardo)
[next]
RIOBAMBA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.