Online Encyclopedia

RIPLEY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V23, Page 363 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
RIPLEY, a market town in the Ilkeston parliamentary division of Derbyshire, England, ro m. N. by E. of Derby, on a branch of the Midland railway. Pop. of urban district (1901) 10,111. It lies on high ground between the valleys of the Derwent and the Erewash. In the neighbourhood there are extensive collieries, and coke is largely manufactured. Besides iron foundries, blast furnaces and boiler works, the town possesses silk and cotton mills. The charter for the market was granted by Henry III. The district has a large industrial population. To the west of Ripley lies the township of HEAGE (pop. 2889).
End of Article: RIPLEY
[back]
RIOUW
[next]
GEORGE RIPLEY (1802-1880)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.