Online Encyclopedia

ROTHWELL

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V23, Page 759 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ROTHWELL, an urban district in the Normanton parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 4 M. S.E. of Leeds. Pop. (1901) 11,702. The church of the Holy Trinity, though largely restored, retains some good Decorated details. Rothwell soon after the Conquest was granted as a dependency of the castle of Pontefract to the Lacys, who erected here a baronial residence of which there are slight remains. Coal and stone are obtained in the neighbour-hood, and the town possesses match-works and rope and twine factories in which the majority of the large industrial population is employed.
End of Article: ROTHWELL
[back]
ROTHSCHILD
[next]
ROTIFERA (or ROTATORIA)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.