Online Encyclopedia

ROWLOCK (pronounced rullock or rollock)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V23, Page 788 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: it!
ROWLOCK (pronounced rullock or rollock), a device on the gunwale of a boat in or on which an oar rests, forming a fulcrum for the oar in rowing. The word is a corruption due to " row " of the earlier " oar-lock," O.E. drloc, a lock or enclosed place for an oar. The simplest form of rowlock is a notch, square or rounded, on the gunwale, in which the oar rests; other kinds are formed by two pins or pegs, " thole pins " (thole being ultimately the same word as Norw. toll, a young fir-tree), and by a swivel with two horns of metals, pivoted in the gun-wale or on an outrigger (see OAR).
End of Article: ROWLOCK (pronounced rullock or rollock)
WILLIAM ROWLEY (c. 1585-c. 1642)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.