Online Encyclopedia

RUGELEY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V23, Page 822 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
RUGELEY, a market town in the Lichfield parliamentary division of Staffordshire, England, in the Trent valley. Pop. of urban district (1901), 4447. The London & North-Western railway has stations on the main line (Trent Valley, 1241 M. N.W. from London), and at the town, on a branch line to Walsall. The Grand Trunk canal here follows the Trent. To the S.W. lie the hills of Cannock Chase. The church of St Augustine is modern; of the parish church of the 14th century only the tower and chancel remainr The municipal offices, market hall and assembly-room are contained in one building (1879). A grammar school was founded in 1611. There are ironfoundries, corn-mills and tanneries; and the parish includes several collieries.
End of Article: RUGELEY
[back]
ARNOLD RUGE (18o2—188o)
[next]
RUGEN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.