Online Encyclopedia

RUPPIN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V23, Page 856 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
RUPPIN, or Neuruppin, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Brandenburg, lies on the W. bank of a small lake, the Ruppiner See, 37 M. N.W. of Berlin by rail. Pop. (1905) 18,555• The town, which was rebuilt in fine, regular fashion after a destructive fire in 1787, contains three Protestant churches, a Roman Catholic church and various educational and benevolent institutions. Its inhabitants are employed in the manufacture of cloth, starch and machinery, in iron-founding and lithography. Important cattle and horse fairs are held here. • Ruppin received municipal rights in 1256. The small town of Altruppin, lying at the north end of the lake, has a 15th-century church and some small manufactures. Pop. (1905) 1813. See Heydemann, Neuere Geschichte der Stadt Neuruppin (Neuruppin, 1863) ; and G. Bittkau, Altere Geschichte der Stadt Neuruppin (Neuruppin, 1887).
End of Article: RUPPIN
[back]
PUBLIUS RUPILIUS
[next]
RUSELLAE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.