Online Encyclopedia

SAARLOUIS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V23, Page 954 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SAARLOUIS, a town and former fortress of Germany, in the Prussian Rhine Province, situated in a fertile district on the left bank of the Saar, and on the railway from Saarbrucken to Trier, 4c M. S. of the latter. Pop. (1905) 8313. The town is well laid out and has spacious streets and a handsome market square. It contains a Roman Catholic and a• Protestant church, a town hall, the walls of the council chamber in which are hung with Gobelins, the gift of Louis XIV., a classical school and a hospital. There are coal-mines in the vicinity, and the town has consider-able manufactures of porcelain, enamel wares and leather, as well as a brisk trade in cattle and grain. Saarlouis was founded in 1681 by Louis XIV. of France, and was fortified by Vauban in 168o-1685. By the peace of Paris, in 1815, it was ceded to the allies and by them was made over to Prussia. The fortifications were dismantled in 1889. Marshal Ney was born here. See Niessen, Geschichte des Kreises Saarlouis (Saarlouis, 1893 and 1897) ; and Baltzer, Historische Notizen fiber die Stadt Saarlouis (Trier, 1865).
End of Article: SAARLOUIS
[back]
SAARGEMUND (Fr. Sarreguemines)
[next]
DIEGO DE SAAVEDRA FAJARDO (1584-1648)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.