Online Encyclopedia

SAAZ (Czech lake)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V23, Page 955 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SAAZ (Czech lake), a town of Bohemia, Austria, 64 m. N.W. of Prague by rail. Pop. (1900) 16,168, mostly German. It lies on the Eger, which is spanned here by a suspension bridge, 210 ft. long, which is the oldest of its kind in Bohemia, having been constructed in 1826. It possesses several ancient churches, of which one is said to date from 1206, and a town hall built in 1559. Saaz is the centre of the extensive hop trade of the neighbourhood. In early times it was the seat of a royal count (Gupan or gaugraf). A coat-of-arms was given to the inhabitants by Ladislaus for their courage during the storming of Milan; and the place is mentioned as a royal town under Ottokar II. From the outbreak of the Hussite Wars to the Thirty Years' War Saaz was Hussite or Protestant, but after the battle of the White Mountain (1620) the greater part of the Bohemian in-habitants left the town, which became German and Roman Catholic.
End of Article: SAAZ (Czech lake)
[back]
DUKE OF RIVAS ANGEL DE SAAVEDRA (1791-1865)
[next]
SABADELL

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.