Online Encyclopedia

SAMARA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V24, Page 108 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SAMARA, a town of E. Russia, capital of the government of the same name, 305 M. by river S.S.E of Kazan and 261 m. by rail W.N.W.of Orenburg. Its population, which was 63,479 in 1883, numbered 91,672 in 1897. Owing to its situation on the left bank of the Volga, at the convergence of the Siberian and Central Asian railways, it has great commercial importance, especially as a depot for cereals and a centre for flour-milling. A considerable trade is also carried on in animal products, particularly hides. The other industries include iron-foundries, soap, candles, vehicles and glue factories, cooperages, tanneries, breweries and brick-works. The port is the best on the Volga. Three great fairs are held every year. The city, which gives title to a bishop of the Orthodox Greek Church, has three cathedrals, built in 1685, 1730-1735 and 1894 respectively, three public libraries, and a natural history and archaeological museum. It is famous for its kumis (mare's milk) cures. Its foundation took place in 1586-1591 for the purpose of protecting the Russian frontier against the Bashkirs, the Kalmucks and the Nogai Tatars.
End of Article: SAMARA
[back]
FELIX MARIA DE SAMANIEGO (1745-1801)
[next]
SAMARIA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.