Online Encyclopedia

SANCERRE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V24, Page 128 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SANCERRE, a town of central France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Cher, 34 M. N.E. of Bourges by rail. Pop. (1906) 2232. Sancerre; which gives its name to the small district of Sancerrois, is situated on an isolated vine-clad hill (l000 ft.) about 1 m. from the left bank of the Loire. It has a modern chateau, in the grounds of which there is a cylindrical keep of the 15th century, the only relic of an ancient stronghold. From 1037 to 1152 the title of count of Sancerre was held by the counts of Champagne; from the latter year till 164o it had its own counts, who were descended from Theobald IV. of Champagne, but in 1226 came under the suzerainty of the crown. In 164o it became the property of Henri de Conde, whose descendants possessed it till the Revolution. During the religious wars it was a stronghold of Protestantism, and in 1573 was besieged by the Catholics, who did not succeed in capturing it till after nearly eight months of siege. The town has a subprefecture, a tribunal of first instance and a communal college. Good wine is grown in the vicinity.
End of Article: SANCERRE
[back]
SANATRUCES (Sinatruces, Pers. Sanatruk)
[next]
SANCHEZ

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.