Online Encyclopedia

SANDBACH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V24, Page 137 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SANDBACH, a market town in the Crewe parliamentary division of Cheshire, England, 5 M. N.E. of Crewe, on the London & North-Western and North Staffordshire railways. Pop. of urban district (1901) 5558• It lies on a headstream of the small river Wheelock, a tributary of the Weaver. The parish church of St Mary is Perpendicular, with a fine carved roof of the 17th century. A few old timbered houses, of the same period, remain. In the market-place are two remarkable crosses covered with rude carvings, and assigned by some to the 7th century, being similar to those at Monasterboice and elsewhere in Ireland. There are boot and shoe factories, chemical works and a manufactory of fustians, with salt-works and iron-works in the adjacent township of Wheelock.
End of Article: SANDBACH
[back]
SANDARACH (Fr. sandaraque, Lat. sandaraca, Gr. ravb...
[next]
KARL LUDWIG FRIDOLIN VON SANDBERGER (1826-1898)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.