Online Encyclopedia

SANDHURST

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V24, Page 140 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SANDHURST, a town in the Wokingham parliamentary division of Berkshire, England, 9 M. N. of Aldershot. Pop. (1901) 2386. Two miles south-east of the town, near the villages of Cambridge Town and York Town, and the railway stations of Blackwater and Camberley on the South-Eastern and Chatham and South-Western lines, is the Sandhurst Royal Military College. It was settled here in 1812, having been already removed by its founder, the duke of York, from High Wycombe, where it was opened in 1799, to Great Marlow in 1802. It stands in beautiful grounds, which contain a large lake. Wellington College station on the South-Eastern branch line to Reading, near Sandhurst itself, serves Wellington College, one of the principal modern public schools of England, founded in memory 3 These were separated by Bonaparte (Comptes rendus, xlii. p. 88o) as a distinct genus, Pteroclurus, which later authors have justly seen no reason to adopt. of the great duke of Wellington, 4nd incorporated in 1853. Its primary object was the education of the sons of deceased army officers. In the vicinity is Broadmoor Prison for criminal lunatics.
End of Article: SANDHURST
[back]
SANDGATE
[next]
SANDOMIR, or SEDOMIERZ

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.