Online Encyclopedia

SCHANDAU

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V24, Page 313 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SCHANDAU, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Saxony, situated on the right bank of the Elbe, at the mouth of the little valley of the Kirnitsch. It is 4 M. from the Bohemian frontier, 20 M. S.E. of Dresden on the railway to Bodenbach, and has a branch to Niederneukirch, which is carried from the railway station lying on the right bank across the Elbe by an iron bridge. Pop. (1905) 3373. Schandau has an Evangelical parish church, a hydropathic establishment and a school of river navigation. The position of Schandau in the heart of the romantic " Saxon Switzerland " has made it a place of importance, and thousands of tourists make it their headquarters in summer. For their accommodation numerous hotels and villas have been der Franzosen im Revolutionskrieg, is his best-known work. Shortly after this he was promoted major and employed on erected. The chief manufactures of the town are artificial flowers and furniture. See Schafer, Fi hrer durch Schandau and seine Umgebung (Dresden, 1907).
End of Article: SCHANDAU
[back]
JOHANN ADAM VON SCHALL (1591-1666)
[next]
SOPHUS CHRISTIAN FREDERICK SCHANDORPH [or SKAMDRUP]...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.