Online Encyclopedia

SCHWABACH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V24, Page 387 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SCHWABACH, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Bavaria, 9 m. by rail S. of Nuremberg. Pop. (1905) 10,342. It has the interesting Evangelical church of St John, built in the 15th century, with carvings by Veit Stoss, paintings by Wohlgemut, Martin Schon and others, and a ciborium by Adam Krafft; a fountain, the Schone Brunnen, and several schools. Schwabach is the chief seat of the needle manufacture in Bavaria; its other industries include gold and silver wire work, brewing and the making of soap and earthenware. Schwabach was purchased in 1364 by the burgrave of Nuremberg. See Petzoldt, Chronik der Stadt Schwabach (Schwabach, 1854).
End of Article: SCHWABACH
[back]
PHILIP JOHN SCHUYLER (1733–1804)
[next]
SAMUEL HEINRICH SCHWABE (1789–1875)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.