Online Encyclopedia

SCHWALBACH, or LANGENSCHWALBACH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V24, Page 388 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SCHWALBACH, or LANGENSCHWALBACH, a favourite German health resort, in the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau, pleasantly situated in a deep valley, near the junction of the Schwalbach with the Aar, 12 M. N.W. from Wiesbaden, on the railway Dotzheim-Dietz. Permanent population (1905) 2836. Besides a large kursaal, the town has four churches, two Evangelical, a Roman Catholic and an English, a synagogue and several schools. There are eight springs, which are largely impregnated in varying proportions with iron and carbonic acid, and are used both for drinking and bathing. They are especially efficacious in feminine disorders, and the greater number of visitors (about 6000 annually) are ladies. The public grounds are prettily laid out and there are numerous fashionable hotels. See Frickhoffer, Die Eisenquellen zu Schwalbach (2nd ed., Schwalbach, 1888), and A. Genth, Geschichte des Kurortes Schwalbach (3rd ed., Wiesbaden, 1884).
End of Article: SCHWALBACH, or LANGENSCHWALBACH
[back]
SAMUEL HEINRICH SCHWABE (1789–1875)
[next]
THEODOR SCHWANN (1810-1882)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.