Online Encyclopedia

SCHWETZ

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V24, Page 394 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SCHWETZ, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of West Prussia, on the left bank of the Vistula, 29 M. by rail N.E. of Bromberg. Pop. (1905) 7747. It has an Evangelical church, two Roman Catholic churches, a synagogue and an old convent, now used as a lunatic asylum, and also the remains of a castle built in the 14th century by the Teutonic Order. The chief industries are the making of sugar and shoes, and there are also electrical works and saw-mills. See Kotz, Geschichte der Stadt Schwetz seit 2772 (Marienwerder, 1904).
End of Article: SCHWETZ
[back]
SCHWERTE
[next]
SCHWETZINGEN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.