Online Encyclopedia


Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V24, Page 484 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: it!
SCROLL, a strip or roll of paper, parchment, &c. The word in Mid. Eng. was screw, and came from Fr. escrou, modern ecrou; the French form is preserved in the legal term " escrow " (see DEED); the French diminutive escrouel gave the English form " scroll." The Fr. escrou is of Teutonic origin and is connected with "shred," "shard" and "sherd"; and meant a " shred " of paper. The term is sometimes given in architecture to the volute of the Ionic capital, to the termination of the hand-rail of a staircase, and also to the wave-like decorations of Roman red glazed pottery, and more particularly in Samian ware.
End of Article: SCROLL
SIR WILLIAM SCROGGS (c. 1623—1683)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.