Online Encyclopedia

SEDBERGH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V24, Page 577 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SEDBERGH, a market town in the Skipton parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 28z m. S.S.E. of Penrith by a branch of the London & North-Western railway. Pop. (1901) 2430. It is pleasantly situated at the junction of several small streams forming the river Lune, in a deep valley surrounded by high-lying moors. The church of St Andrew is principally late Norman. The grammar school was founded by Dr Roger Lupton, provost of Eton College, in 1528, but as it was connected with a chantry it was suppressed by Henry VIII., to be refounded in 1551 by Edward VI.; it now takes rank among the important public schools.
End of Article: SEDBERGH
[back]
SEDAN
[next]
RICHARD JOHN SEDDON (1845-1906)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.