Online Encyclopedia

SEGESVAR (Ger. Schdssburg)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V24, Page 582 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SEGESVAR (Ger. Schdssburg), a town of Hungary, in Transylvania, the capital of the county of Nagy-KUullo, 126 m. S.E. of Koloszvar by rail. Pop. (1900) 10,857. Amongst the principal buildings are a Gothic church of the 15th century, the town and county hall, a German gymnasium with a good collection of antiquities, and the municipal museum. In front of the county hall is a bronze statue of the Hungarian poet Alexander Petofi (1823-1849), erected in 1897. Segesvb.r has a good woollen and linen trade, as well as exports of wine and fruit. Segesvar was founded by Saxon colonists at the end of the-SEGOVIA 12th century; its Latin name was Castrum Sex. Here, on the 31st of July 1849, the Hungarian army under Bern was defeated by the overwhelming numbers of the Russian General Luders. Petofi is generally believed to have met his end in this battle.
End of Article: SEGESVAR (Ger. Schdssburg)
[back]
SEGESTA (Gr. "Eyeara)
[next]
SEGMENTS OF A

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.