Online Encyclopedia

SHUSHA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V24, Page 1023 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SHUSHA, a town, formerly a fortress, of Russian Transcaucasia, in the government of Elisavetpol, in 39° 46' N. and 46° 25' E., 170 M. S.E. of Tiflis, on an isolated rocky eminence, 3865 ft. above sea-level and accessible only from one side. Pop. about 25,000, consisting of Armenians and Tatars. Shusha was formerly the capital of the khanate of Kara-bagh. The town is locally renowned for its carpets, and the district for its excellent breed of Kara-bagh horses. Leather and silk are also made. The fortress, constructed in 1789, successfully withstood a siege by Aga Mahommed of Persia in 1795, but was constrained to surrender two years afterwards. In 18o5 Ibrahim Khan of Kara-bagh invoked the protection of Russia, but the annexation was not corapleted until 1822.
End of Article: SHUSHA
[back]
SHUMLA (Bulgarian Shumen, Turkish Shumna)
[next]
SHUSHTER

Additional information and Comments

Shouxha or shushi is an armenian city
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.