Online Encyclopedia

SISTOVA (Bulg. Svishtov)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 161 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SISTOVA (Bulg. Svishtov), the capital of the department of Sistova, Bulgaria, on the right bank of the Danube, 40 M. W. 25 of Rustchuk. Pop. (1906), 13,408. Despite the lack of railway communication, and the migration of the Turkish inhabitants after the Russo-Turkish War (1877-1878), Sistova is an important commercial centre, exporting wine and grain and importing petroleum. Sistova is identified with the Roman colony Novae mentioned by Ptolemy. The exact site appears to have been Staklen, to the west of the present town, which has gradually moved east-ward since the 16th century, when it was almost destroyed in the Turkish wars. It was at Sistova that the peace of 1790 was signed, by which the Austrian-Turkish boundary was determined. The town was burned in 1810 by the Russians; but after 18zo it began to revive, and the introduction of steam traffic on the lower Danube (1835) restored its prosperity. The Walachian town of Alexandria was founded by fugitives from Sistova in 1878.
End of Article: SISTOVA (Bulg. Svishtov)
[back]
SISTERHOODS (MODERN ANGLICAN)
[next]
SISTRUM (Gr. veia'rpov, Ger. Rappel)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.