Online Encyclopedia

SOHAM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 345 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SOHAM, a town in the Newmarket parliamentary division of Cambridgeshire, England, 5 M. S.E. of Ely by a: branch of the Great Eastern railway. Pop. (1901), 4230. It lies in the midst of the flat fen country. To the west a rich tract, still known as Soham Mere, marks the place of one of the many wide and shallow sheets of water in the district now drained. The church of St Andrew is cruciform and had formerly a central tower; the existing western tower is of fine and ornate Perpendicular work. The body of the church, however, is mainly transitional Norman with additions principally Decorated) including a beautiful east window, much ancient woodwork, and other details of interest. The grammar school dates from 1687. The road from Soham to Ely was constructed as a causeway across the fens by Hervey le Breton, first bishop of Ely (1109-1131), The trade of the town is agricultural, fruit-growing and market-gardening being largely carried on in the vicinity.
End of Article: SOHAM
[back]
SOGNE FJORD
[next]
SOIGNIES (or SOIGNES, the Walloon form)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.