Online Encyclopedia

SOUTH KANARA DISTRICT

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 647 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SOUTH KANARA DISTRICT has its headquarters at Mangalore. Area, 4021 sq. m. Pop. (toot), 1,134,713, showing an increase of 7 % in the decade. The district is intersected by rivers, none of which exceeds too miles in length. They all take their rise in the Western Ghats, and many are navigable during the fair weather for from 15 to 25 miles from the coast. The chief of these streams are the Netravati, Gurpur and Chendragiri. Numerous. groves of coco-nut palms extend along the coast, and green rice-fields are seen in every valley. The Western Ghats, rising to a height of 3000 to 6000 ft., fringe the eastern boundary. Forest land of great extent and value exists, but most of it is private property. Jungle products (besides timber) consist of bamboo, cardamoms, wild arrowroot, gall-nuts, gamboge, catechu, fibrous bark, cinnamon, gums, resin, dyes, honey and beeswax. The forests formerly abounded in game, which, however, is rapidly decreasing under incessant shooting. The staple crop is rice. The chief articles of import are piece goods, cotton yarn, oils and salt. Tiles are manufactured in several places out of a fine potter's clay. The Azhikal-Mangalore line of the Madras railway serves the district. See South Canary District Manual (2 vols., Madras, 1894-1895).
End of Article: SOUTH KANARA DISTRICT
[back]
SOUTH HOLLAND
[next]
SOUTH MELBOURNE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.