Online Encyclopedia

SRINAGAR

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 749 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SRINAGAR, capital of the state of Kashmir, in Northern India, 5250 ft. above sea-level, on both banks of the river Jhelum, which winds through the city with an average width of 8o yds. and is crossed by seven wooden bridges. The houses occupy a length'of about 3 M. and a breadth of about 12 m. on either side of the river; but the greater part of the city lies on the right bank. No two buildings are alike. The curious grouping of the houses, the frail tenements of the poor, the substantial mansions of the wealthier, the curious carving of some, the balconies of others, the irregular embankment, and the mountains in the background, form a quaint and picturesque spectacle. Area, 3795 acres. Pop. (Igor), 122,618. The city is exposed to both fire and flood. In 1893 Six of the seven bridges were swept away, and great damage was again caused in 1903. A regular water-supply has been provided. The artisans of Srinagar enjoy a high reputation. Unfortunately, the historic industry of shawl-weaving is now practically extinct. The loss of the French market after the war of 1870 was followed by the famine of 1877-1879, which drove many of the weavers into the Punjab, and the survivors have taken to the manufacture of carpets. Other industries are paper, leather, papier mache, silver and copper ware, wood-carving and boat-making. The three chief routes of communication with India are: (I) along the Jhelum valley to Murree and Rawalpindi, which has been opened throughout for wheeled traffic (195 m.); (2) over the Banihal pass (9200 ft. above the sea) to Jammu (163 m.); (3) over the Pir Panjal pass (11,400 ft.) to Gujrat (18o m.). See Sir Walter R. Lawrence, The Valley of Kashmir (1895); M. A. Stein, Chronicle of the Kings of Kashmir (1900). SRIRANGAM, or SERINGHAM, a town of British India, in Trichinopoly district, Madras presidency, 2 M. N. of Trichinopoly city. Pop. (1901), 23,039. It stands on an island of the same name, formed by the bifurcation of the river Cauvery and by the channel of the Coleroon. The town is celebrated for its great temple, dedicated to Vishnu, composed of seven square enclosures, one within another, and 350 ft. distant from each other. Each enclosure has four gates with high towers, placed one in the centre of each side opposite to the four' cardinal points. The successively widening enclosures and the greater elaboration of the outer as compared with the inner buildings mark the progress of the shrine in fame and wealth. The outer wall of the temple is not less than 4 M. in circumference. Not far distant is the smaller but more beautiful Jambukeswaram, a temple dedicated to Siva. From 1751 to 1755 the island and its pagodas were the object of frequent contests between the French and the English.
End of Article: SRINAGAR
[back]
SQUIRREL MONKEY
[next]
SS2

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.