Online Encyclopedia

STANS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 783 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
STANS, the capital of the eastern half (or Nidwalden) of the Swiss canton of Unterwalden. It stands amid orchards at a height of 1493 ft. above the sea-level on a plain at the north foot of the conical Stanserhorn (6238 ft.). It is, by electric railway, about 2 M. from Stansstad, its port on the south shore of the lake of Lucerne, and 12 M. from Engelberg (with its great Benedictine monastery, founded about 1120), now a much-frequented summer resort, while there is also an electric rail-way from Stans up the Stanserhorn. In 19oo Stans had a population of 2798, all German-speaking and Romanists. Stans was the home of the Winkelried family (q.v.) and has a modern monument to the memory of Arnold von Winkelried, the legendary hero of the battle of Sempach (1386). In 1481 the holy Nicholas von der Flue composed at Stans by his advice the strife between the Confederates, while in 1798 many persons were massacred here by the French. (W. A. B. C.)
End of Article: STANS
[back]
STANNITE
[next]
SIR JAMES STANSFELD (182o-1898)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.