Online Encyclopedia

STARAYA RUSSA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 794 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
STARAYA RUSSA, a town of Russia, in the government of Novgorod, 58 in. S. of the city of Novgorod, on the river Polista, by means of which and Lake Ilmen it is brought into steamer communication with St ' Petersburg. Pop., 15,234. Brine springs on the east of the town were used as a source for the supply of salt as late as 1865; at present they' are used only as mineral waters (temperature 51- 54° F.), having a great „ resemblance to those of Kreuznach in Germany. Some thousands of visitors resort to them every summer, and owing to this circumstance Staraya Russa is better built and better kept than any other town in the government of Novgorod. The inhabitants are supported chiefly by the summer visitors. There is a trade in rye, oats and flax shipped to St Petersburg. The name of Staraya Russa occurs in Russian annals as far back as 1167. It belonged to the republic of Novgorod, and suffered continually in the wars between Russia, Lithuania and Livonia. It was afterwards annexed to Moscow.
End of Article: STARAYA RUSSA
[back]
STARA ZAGORA (Turk. Eski-Zagra)
[next]
STARBOARD AND LARBOARD

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.