Online Encyclopedia

STEELTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 867 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
STEELTON, a borough of Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., on the Susquehanna river, 3 M. S.E. of Harrisburg. Pop. (1890), 9250; (1900), 12,086, of whom 2300 were foreign born and 1508 were negroes; (1910 census), 14,246. Steelton is served by the Pennsylvania and the Philadelphia & Reading railways, and is connected with Hartisburg by electric line. The city has a public library. Steelton is in an agricultural. district, but its industrial importance is due primarily to the vast steel works of the Pennsylvania Steel Company. Other manufactures are flour and grist mill products, bricks, planing-mill products, &c. In 1905 the total value of the borough's factory products was $15,745,628; the capital invested in manufacturing increased from $6,266,068 in 290o to $18,642',853. in 1905, or 197.5%. There is a large limestone quarry within the borough limits. The municipality owns its waterworks and filtration plant. The place was laid out in 1866 under the name of Baldwin, but when it was incorporated as a borough, in 188o, the present name was adopted.
End of Article: STEELTON
[back]
WILLIAM STEELE (d. 1680)
[next]
MERCHANTS OF THE STEELYARD

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.