Online Encyclopedia

STELLENBOSCH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 875 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
STELLENBOSCH, a town of the Cape province, South Africa, 31 M. by rail E. of Cape Town. Pop. (1904), 7573, of whom 2497 were whites. It lies 36o ft. above the sea in a pleasant upland valley on the Atlantic slope of the coast range, and is, next to the capital, the oldest settlement in the province, having been founded by order of Commandant Simon van der Steil in 168r and named after him and his wife, whose maiden name was Bosch. The streets are lined with magnificent oaks, while many of the houses with heavy, thatched gables date from the 17th century. Stellenbosch is the headquarters of the Cape branch of the Dutch Reformed Church, and is also an, important educational centre. The chief buildings, besides the churches, are the Dutch theological seminary, Victoria College, Bloemhof girls' school, agricultural college and school of mines, laboratory and school of science and the S.A. conservatorium of music. The surrounding district is largely devoted to viticulture and plants of small , stature are called under-shrubs or bushes. The limits between these different kinds of stem are not' always well defined; and there are some plants occupying an inter-mediate position between shrubs and trees, to which the name of arborescent shrubs is occasionally given. The stem is not always conspicuous. Plants with a distinct stem are caulescent; those in which it is inconspicuous are acaulescent, as the primrose, cowslip and dandelion. A similar term is given in ordinary language to plants whose stems are buried in the soil, such as cyclamen or sowbread. Some plants are truly stemless, and consist only of expansions of cellular tissue representing stem and leaf,, called a thallus, and hence are denominated Thallogens, or Thallojhytes. fruit-growing. The vineyards have been replanted with American stocks. The Stellenbosch valley is closgd in by rahges of hills beyond which, eastward, lies Frenchhoek valley, with a village of the same name. This district was the headquarters' of the Huguenot refugees who settled in South Africa at the close of the 17th century. In the early days of the Boer War (1899-1902) Stellenbosch was one of the British military bases, and was used as. a " remount " camp; and in consequence of officers who had not distinguished themselves at the front being sent back to it, the expression " to be Stellenbosched " came into use ; so much, so, that in similar cases officers were spoken of as ' Stellenbosched " even if they were sent to some other place. The remount dept is maintained; horses and mules thrive here.
End of Article: STELLENBOSCH
[back]
STELE
[next]
STEM (O. Eng. staefn, stemn, cf. Du. stain, Ger. St...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.