Online Encyclopedia

STEUBENVILLE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 905 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
STEUBENVILLE, a city and the county-seat of Jefferson county, Ohio, U.S.A., on the west bank of the Ohio river, about ao m. W. of Pittsburg. Pop. (188o), 12,093; (189o), 13,394; (1900), 14i349, of whom 1815 were foreign-born and 736 were negroes; (1910 U.S. census) 22,391. It is served by the Wheeling & Lake Erie (Wabash system), the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis (Pennsylvania system), and the Pennsylvania railways, and by inter-urban electric railways. A suspension bridge crosses the Ohio river here. Steubenville is on a high plain (the second terrace of the river), surrounded by hills 300-500 ft. high, in a good farming country, rich in bituminous coal, natural gas, building-stone, petroleum and clay. The city has a Carnegie library, Gill hospital, a Y.M.C.A. building and Stanton and Altamont parks. The value of its factory prcducts increased from $4,547,049 in 1900 to $12,369,677 in 1005, or 172 % —the greatest increase during this period for any city, with a population of 8000 or over in 1900, in the state; during the same period the capital invested in manufacturing industries increased from $2,302,563 to $12,627,048 or 448.4 %. Among manufactures are iron and steel, tin and terne plate, glass, paper and wood pulp, and pottery. Near the city limits are building-stone quarries and coal-mines. The municipality owns and operates the waterworks. Steubenville was platted as a town in 1797, immediately after the erection of Jefferson county, and was built on the site of Fort Steuben, erected in 1786-1787, and named in honour of Baron Frederick William von Steuben; it received a city charter in 1851, and its city limits were much enlarged in 1871. See W. H. Hunter, " The Pathfinders of Jefferson County," and " The Centennial of Jefferson County," in Ohio Archaeological and Historical Review, vol. vi. Nos. 2, 3 (Columbus, 1898).
End of Article: STEUBENVILLE
[back]
BARON VON FREDERICK WILLIAM AUGUSTUS HENRY FERDINAN...
[next]
AGOSTINO STEUCO [in Latin STEUCHUS or EUGUBINUS] (1...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.