Online Encyclopedia

STEWARTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 915 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
STEWARTON, a municipal and police burgh, in the Cunning-ham district of Ayrshire, Scotland. Pop. (r9o1), 2858. It is situated on Annick Water, 19 m. S.W. of Glasgow by the Glasgow & South-Western railway. The town lies in a fine agricultural district, famed for its dairy produce. Two cattle and two horse fairs are held yearly; at the 'October cattle fair there is the largest show of Ayrshire dairy stock in Scotland. About 2 M. north by west is Dunlop (pop. 473)) which gave its name to a cheese that at one time commanded a large market.
End of Article: STEWARTON
[back]
WILLIAM STEWART (c. 1480-c. 1550)
[next]
MARTINUS THEUNIS STEYN (1857– )

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.