Online Encyclopedia

STOKE NEWINGTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 951 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
STOKE NEWINGTON, a north-eastern metropolitan borough of London, England, bounded E. by Hackney and W. by Islington, and extending N. to the boundary of the county of London. Pop. (tgol), 51,247. It is mainly occupied by small villas. On its western boundary, adjoining Green Lanes, lies Clissold Park (J4 acres) and outside the north-western boundary is Finsbury Park (115 acres). In Church Street is the ancient parish church of St Mary, largely restored, but still bearing the stamp of antiquity; opposite to it stands a new church in Decorated style by Sir Gilbert Scott. In the north of the borough are the main waterworks and reservoirs of the New River Company, though the waterway continues to a head in Finsbury. Stoke Newington is partly in the north division of the parliamentary borough of Hackney, but the district of South Hornsey, included in the municipal borough, is in the Hornsey division of Middlesex. The borough council consists of a mayor, 5 aldermen and 30 councillors. Area, 863.5 acres. STOKE-ON-TRENT, a market town and municipal and parliamentary borough of Staffordshire, England, on the upper Trent, in the heart of the Potteries district. .Pop. (1901), 30,458. This was the population of the separate borough of Stoke-upon-Trent (area, 1882 acres) which existed until 1910. In 1908 arrangements were made whereby Stoke-upon-Trent, Burslem, Fenton, Hanley, Longton and Tunstall should be amalgamated as one borough, under the name of Stoke-on-Trent, from the 31st of March 1gbo. The new corporation consists of a mayor, 26 aldermen and 78 councillors. Stoke is on the North Staffordshire railway, 146 m. north-west from London by the London & North-Western railway; and on the Grand Trunk (Trent and Mersey) Canal. The principal public buildings in the old town of Stoke are the town hall, with assembly rooms, law library and art gallery, the market hall, the Minton memorial building, containing a school of art and science; the free library and museum, and the North Staffordshire infirmary, founded in 1815 at Etruria, and removed to its present site in 1868. The head offices of the North Staffordshire Railway Company are here. Four large firms manufacturing every variety of art china and earthenware alone employ over 5000 hands. Coal-mining and iron and machine manufactures are also carried on. A statue commemorates Josiah Wedgwood, born at Burslem in 1730; but other famous names in the pottery trade are more intimately connected with Stoke. Thus Josiah Spode the second was born here in 1754, and had a great house at Penkhull, on the western outskirts of Stoke. He
End of Article: STOKE NEWINGTON
[back]
STOICS
[next]
STOKE POGES

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.