Online Encyclopedia

STOLP, or STOLPE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 955 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
STOLP, or STOLPE, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Pomerania, on the Stolpe, so m. from the Baltic Sea and 64 m. W. of Danzig on the railway to Stargard, and with branches to Stolpmunde and Neustettin. Pop. (1905), 31,154. The large church of St Mary, with a lofty tower, dating from the 14th century, the Renaissance castle of the 16th century, now used as a prison, and one of the ancient town-gates restored in 1872 are memorials of the time when Stolp was a prosperous member of the Hanseatic League. It has also the church of St John, built in the 13th century, a new town hall, and a statue of Bismarck. The manufacture of machinery, amber articles, tobacco and cigars, and bricks, with some iron-founding, linen-weaving, and salmon-fishing in the Stolpe, are the chief industrial occupations of the inhabitants, who also carry on trade in grain, cattle, spirits, timber, fish and geese. Stolpmunde, a fishing-village and summer resort, at the mouth of the river, is the port of Stolp. Stolp, mentioned in the rrth century, received town rights in 1273. From the 14th to the 16th century it was a member of the Hanseatic League. Until 1637, when it passed to Brandenburg, the town wds generally in the possession of the dukes of Pomerania.
End of Article: STOLP, or STOLPE
[back]
FERDINAND STOLICZKA (1838-1874)
[next]
STOMACH (Gr. vrbsaxos from arbga, a mouth)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.