Online Encyclopedia

STONE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 958 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
STONE, a market town in the western parliamentary division of Staffordshire, England, on the river Trent, 7 M. N. of Stafford by the North Staffordshire railway. Pop. of urban district (1901), 5680. Part of the walls and crypt remain of an abbey which dates from the foundation of a college of canons in 67o. The church of St Michael dates from 1750, the abbey church having collapsed in the previous year. Alleyne's grammar school is a foundation of 1J58. The chief industry is shoemaking, but malting, brewing and tanning are also carried on. At Bury Bank, on the hills to the north, an earthwork is traditionally considered to be the site of the capital of the Kingdom of Mercia; there are other works in the neighbourhood at Saxon Low.
End of Article: STONE
[back]
STOMACH (Gr. vrbsaxos from arbga, a mouth)
[next]
STONE (0. Eng. shin; the word is common to Teutonic...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.