Online Encyclopedia

STOURBRIDGE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 971 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
STOURBRIDGE, a market town in the Droitwich parliamentary division of Worcestershire, England, 144 M. N.W. by W. of London and to W. of Birmingham by the Great Western railway. Pop. of urban district (1901), 16,302. A branch canal connects with the Worcestershire and Staffordshire system. The town stands on an eminence on the left bank of the Stour. Among public buildings are a town-hall (1887) and town offices, and a school of science and art. There is an endowed grammar school founded by Edward VI., and a bluecoat or hospital school. Dr Johnson received part of his education in this town (1726-1727). The principal manufactures are in iron, leather and skins; there are glue works and fire-brick works. Coal and fire-clay are raised. The manufacture of glass was established in 1556 by emigrants from Hungary, the place where they erected their factory being still known as Hungary Hill. Annual fairs are held. The town was originally called Bedcote, a name retained by the manor. The urban district includes the townships of Upper Swinford and Wollaston.
End of Article: STOURBRIDGE
[back]
STOUR
[next]
STOURPORT

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.