Online Encyclopedia

STOURPORT

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 972 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
STOURPORT, a market town in the Bewdley parliamentary division of Worcestershire, England, 141 in. N. by W. of Worcester by the Great Western railway. Pop. of urban district (1g0r), 452g. It lies on the left bank of the Severn, at the junction of the Stour and the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal. The town grew up after the opening of the canal in 1768. Ironworks, carpet-weaving and tanneries occupy many hands. At Redstone, the site of a former important ferry over the Severn, is a curious hermitage, excavated out of the red sandstone bank.
End of Article: STOURPORT
[back]
STOURBRIDGE
[next]
STOVE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.