Online Encyclopedia

SUCZAWA (Rumanian, Suceava)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 9 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SUCZAWA (Rumanian, Suceava), a town in Bukovina, Austria, 50 M. S. of Czernowitz by rail. Pop. (1900), 10,955. It is situated on the river Suczawa, which forms there the boundary between Bukovina and Rumania. One of its two churches, dating from the 14th century, contains the grave of the patron saint of Bukovina. The principal industry is the tanning and leather trade. Not far from Suczawa lies the monastery of Dragomirna, in Byzantine style, built at the beginning of the 17th century. Suczawa is a very old town and was until 1565 the capital of the principality of Moldavia. It was many times besieged by Poles, Hungarians, Tatars and Turks. In 1675 it was besieged by Sobieski, and in 1679 it was plundered by the Turks.
End of Article: SUCZAWA (Rumanian, Suceava)
[back]
SUCRE, or CHUQUISACA
[next]
SUDAN (Arabic Bilad-es-Sudan, country of the blacks...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.