Online Encyclopedia

SULINA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 54 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SULINA, a town in Rumania, at the mouth of the Sulina branch of the Danube. Pop. (1900), 5611. Sulina is the only free port on the Danube, and is much used for the transhipment into sea-going vessels of grain which is brought down the river in large lighters from Rumania, Russia, Bulgaria, Servia and Austria-Hungary. No agricultural produce is grown in its neighbour-hood, owing to the reed-covered swamps with which it is surrounded. Sulina is the headquarters of the technical department of the European Commission of the Danube (q.v.). Large steamers navigate up to Galatz and Braila. In 1901, 1411 steamers and sailing craft aggregating 1,83o,00o tons register cleared from Sulina for European ports carrying, besides other merchandise, nearly 13,00o,000 quarters of grain. Owing to the improvements effected by the European Commission, there is a depth of 24 ft. of water on the bar, and of 18 to 22 ft. in the fairway. A lighthouse overlooks the estuary. The town contains the only English church in Rumania.
End of Article: SULINA
[back]
SULIMAN HILLS
[next]
SULITELMA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.