Online Encyclopedia

SWINTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 238 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SWINTON, an urban district in the Rotherham parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 102 m. N.E. of Sheffield, on the Midland, North Eastern and Great Central railways. Pop. (1891), 9705; (1901), 12,217. It is situated at the junction of the Dearne and Dove navigation with the river Don navigation. In the churchyard of St Margaret's church (rebuilt in 1817) two beautiful Norman arches of the old church are preserved. There are collieries, quarries and brickfields in the neighbourhood. There are also flint and glass-bottle works, ironworks (for stoves, grates, fenders and kitchen ranges), and earthenware manufactures. The town was formerly renowned for its Rockingham ware. A free warren was granted to Swinton by Henry II.
End of Article: SWINTON
[back]
DAVID SWING (1830-1894)
[next]
SWINTON AND PENDLEBURY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.