Online Encyclopedia

SWINTON AND PENDLEBURY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 238 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
SWINTON AND PENDLEBURY, an urban district in the Eccles parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, 5 M. N.W. of Manchester, with stations on the Lancashire & York-shire railway. Pop. (1901), 27,005. The church of St Peter, a fine building of stone with a lofty western tower, was erected from the designs of Sir Gilbert Scott in 1869. The Swinton industrial schools, opened in February 1846, are a fine range of buildings of brick with stone facings, surrounded with grounds extending to 20 acres. The manufacture of cotton, and coal-mining are the chief industries. Anciently a large part of Swinton was possessed by the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem.
End of Article: SWINTON AND PENDLEBURY
[back]
SWINTON
[next]
SWITCH PLANTS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.