Online Encyclopedia

TAGLIACOZZO

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 356 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TAGLIACOZZO, a town of the Abruzzi, Italy, in the province of Aquila, 56 m. by rail E.N.E. of Rome, and to m. W. of Avezzano. Pop. (1901) 4517 (town); 9061 (commune). It lies 2428 ft. above sea-level, at the mouth of the deep ravine of the Imele. It contains several old churches, notably S. Francesco, with a fine rose window in the facade, and medieval houses. The palace, built at the end of the 14th century by the Orsini, is fine. The place was given to the Colonna family in 1526. At the end of 1268 a battle took place here between Conradin of Hohenstaufen and Charles of Anjou, which resulted in the defeat of Conradin and his execution.
End of Article: TAGLIACOZZO
[back]
GASPARO TAGLIACOZZI (1546-1599)
[next]
MARIA TAGLIONI (1804-1884)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.