Online Encyclopedia

TARENTUM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V26, Page 418 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
TARENTUM, a borough of Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., on the Allegheny river, about 20 M. N.E. of Pittsburg. Pop. (1890) 4627; (1900) 5472 (1173 being foreign-born); (1910) 7414. Tarentum is served by the Pennsylvania railway and by an electric line connecting with Pittsburg. Among manufactures- are plate glass and bottles, table ware, paper, bricks, iron and steel articles, and steel sheets and billets. Coal mining is an important industry, and the borough is supplied with natural gas. Tarentum was first settled in 1796, was laid out in 1829 at the direction of Henry Marie Brackenridge (1786-1871),2 who by marriage had come into possession of the site, and it was incorporated as a borough in 1842. The first glass manufactory was established in 1872.
End of Article: TARENTUM
[back]
TARE AND TRET
[next]
TARENTUM (Gr. rapas)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.